|Who is the Local Harvest Alliance?
- We are a group of local food producers and consumers located in Scott County. Our goals are to promote the preservation of agricultural land and open spaces, support local food production, develop a vibrant local food economy, and to realize ultimate food security through local food production.
Why preserve agricultural land and open space?
- Maintain the quality of life we enjoy in our rural environment and our agricultural heritage
- Provide recreational opportunities adding to our health and well being
- Support businesses dependent on agricultural activities
- Keep food production close to where people live so that they know who produces it and how
- Have positive impact on water, soil, climate and wildlife resources when wetlands, woodlots, and other unpaved land is preserved
Why buy locally produced products?
- It’s good for you. Locally grown products taste fabulous and are parcked with nutrition!
- It’s good for your community. Purchasing products from local farmers and artisan producers keeps more money in the community.
It’s good for your environment. The average American dinner travels 1,500 miles before reaching the dinner plate.
Since these foods do not travel very far, farmers can choose varieties based on flavor rather than on their ability to withstand a long journey to the market.
Local farmers can offer more choices, such as heirloom vegetables, heritage breeds of livestock and other specialty products that are not likely to be mass marketed.
Knowing who’s growing your food is a powerful thing. It allows you to ask questions and make your own choices about how the products you purchase are grown or raised.
Eating local food greatly reduces the consumption of fossil fuels and wasteful packing materials*
*MN Department of Agriculture